Sunday, February 8, 2009

Orbiting the Giant What??

When we were residents of the Fairfield, I had a lot of time on my hands. Particularly when Shawn was in class from 6-9pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. One evening, I happened upon Orbiting the Giant Hairball by Gordon MacKenzie. I believe Shawn is required to read it for his Marketing class, but the title intrigued me, so I began to read. I am now almost finished with the book, and to be honest, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The subtitle reads, "A Corporate Fool's Guide to Surviving with Grace" This may be accurate. I wouldn't really know, I am not really entrenched in the "Corporate" world, but really, I just think it has good lesson on life, and how to live. The author emphasizes letting our creative sides out. People are happier, companies work better, Life is Good. Considering my self as a relatively UN-creative person, this book has encouraged me. He mentions how being creative, the act of creating, can't be measured. As I am a self-proclaimed "comparer" (I compare myself to EVERYone), how can you compare something that can't be measured? You can't. And that gives me hope. Hope to be better...to create just a little bit more. To not shy away from my "childish" drawings, or my abstract doodles, or even from making dinner (I could potentially create something good to eat). I have the ability to create a safe home, full of love for family and friends. My creative abilities are virtually limitless...

I guess I just wanted to write about this book because it has opened my eyes, even if I don't battle to stay out of a 'Corporate Hairball', I have decided that there are other hairballs out there, that I can now struggle to stay out of, to 'Orbit' if you will. Maybe I'm just rambling now. Maybe you have to read the book to understand. But either way, I enjoyed this book so far, and I am sad that I have almost finished. I recommend it to all you, and even if you don't like reading--that's ok--It has lots of pictures!! (Its totally fascinating just in that respect) So, if you get a chance to read it, let me know what you think.

No comments: