Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Planes Trains and Automobiles

As Shawn pointed out Sunday night, I don't do so well in "planes, trains and automobiles". Thankfully, Carter is a champ. Carter took his first airplane ride on Friday. Shawn and I were astounded by how well he traveled.

About a week and a half ago Shawn found out that his good friend Chad was getting baptized. So what did we do? Chad happens to live in Indiana [insert link to post about when he got married and we went out to visit] So, naturally we booked two plane tickets out there and away we went! We left Friday afternoon, Chad was baptized Saturday, and we flew home Sunday. Wham. Bam. Thankya ma'm. All with a seven month old baby who might be teething and have a cold. It was a whirlwind of a weekend and I'm officially exhausted...but that's not why I'm here. I wanted to blog about two things specifically. Maybe 3.

1. I'll be honest. I don't know Chad very well. In fact I've met him a total of...3 times? over the course of 5 years? It is incredible the powerful change the gospel has brought to his life. Chad's baptism was wonderful. There were so so so so so many people there supporting him. The Holy Ghost was so strong in that meeting. It touched my heart, and uplifted my soul. It truly was a miracle to see such a complete turn around in a person and their lifestyle. We are so excited for Chad! and so proud. The strength he needed to get to this point is beyond my comprehension...and he will need much more in the days ahead. I know he can do it. Thank goodness for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is true.

2. I love my husband. I love that husbands and wives miscommunicate (and that we're not the only ones). I love that when called upon to use the priesthood, my husband is willing, able and worthy. When we walked into the chapel for Chad's baptism, we found out that Shawn was going to be the one baptizing Chad. Shawn had no towel, no change of clothing, and no time to prepare...but he was ready and willing. And I Love that about him. We were honestly just in Indiana to support Chad. Shawn has had so many spiritual discussions with him and said a long time ago, 'If you ever get baptized, I'll be there.' So we were. We had no idea that Chad wanted Shawn to baptize him. Inspite of a few hiccups, everything turned out great. Those hiccups don't matter, because in the end, what matters is that Chad was baptized. It was beautiful.

3. Carter is incredible. No really. He is the best baby. Ever. I feel so lucky. So blessed to have him. I have never known a baby to be as good as he is. Yesterday, during one of our flights home I had the opportunity to hold him as he slept in my arms. I was overwhelmed by the emotions/feelings/thoughts that he is a blessing in our lives. He is a special, oh so special little person. I seriously feel like I won the lotto with this one. In total, we probably travelled for 8-9 hours yesterday. He didn't cry, only fussed, and only for good reason. As soon as those problems were addressed he went back to being an angel baby. Smiling and talking and sleeping and playing. I don't know if I was expecting travel with an infant to be murder, but this was a breeze. I am grateful for Carter and the opportunity I have to be his mother. I really don't know how Shawn and I got so lucky to have such a good kid. He is a champ and I love him.

Oh. And I totally slacked off and only took pictures once. But it's not like I'd post those. Come on--who do you think I am? Here we are tonight rockin' the Photobooth.

No comments: