Thursday, September 23, 2010

Welcome to Real Life

Shawn went back to work this week. On top of that, he had to go out of town to New York for three days. Carter's first week at the babysitters' and I've had to drop him off at 6:45am to be on time for work by 7. Hello Exhaustion. Then I pick him up at 1:15pm and we're on our way to a whole afternoon and evening together. No breaks. When he cries-its me. When he needs his diaper changed-its me. This is pretty standard when just one person is taking care of Carter...Shawn did it all those mornings he watched him when I was at work. And I do it every afternoon before Shawn gets home from work. And that's just fine and dandy because there is a light at the end of the tunnel. You know the other person is coming home, and you'll be able to hand off the kid...even for just a few moments. But with Shawn out of town, no break is in sight. There is a reason there is a Dad and a Mom when it comes to having kids...because when one can't take it anymore, the other can step in. I almost started crying yesterday when I thought about what it would be like as a single mom. I can't even imagine. Single parents have strength beyond anything I can comprehend at this point. Needless to say, I'm ready for Shawn to be home. Thankfully that happens tonight!

I never liked it when Shawn went away before, but having a baby...Having a baby changes everything. I guess I better toughen up and get used to it because I'm married to a man who goes on business trips.

A few faces to express myself...just in case words weren't enough.



Oh yes, that is my third shirt today. Does it have spit up all over it? Why yes. Yes it does. It's late enough I don't care anymore. Happy Thursday folks!

P.S. My sister brought me cupcakes tonight. She is officially on my "Wonderful Person's List" (which I may have just created. Just now.)

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Hang in there sweet daughter-in-law!

Kandice said...

I totally understand the absent husband.... makes those few days hard. Good luck! He's adorable.

carla thorup said...

next time he does one of these trips, matt will probably be gone as well, so we'll have to hang!

and i can't believe you are up that early... that's impressive with your track record!