Saturday, January 9, 2010

Cooking is not my strong point...

This year [under Shawn's suggestion] my parents gave us a cooking class at Sur la Table for Christmas. I had no idea what to expect, and was super nervous [because I am such a horrible cook] but it turned out wonderfully!

The class was scheduled for this past Wednesday, and when we got there, there were only two stations set up...and we were confused. The Chef explained that the other people in the group and canceled because they were sick, so it would just be the two of us! It was like Shawn and I got our own private cooking lesson. Chef Kyle explained how it would work, and what recipes we would be doing [since there were only two of us, we wouldn't cook all five dishes listed]. Then we got to work! he showed us proper knife cutting technique and the rules of the kitchen and then we helped cut and mix and blend and measure and sear and bake and whatever else the recipes called for.

The...theme? of the class was "Modern Comfort Menu" with recipes provided by bon appetit. We helped make Bruschetta with Fava Beans, Greens and Blood Oranges as an appetizer; Beer- and Onion-Braised Chicken Carbonnade for the main course; and Mascarpone Tart with Honey, Oranges, and Pistachios for dessert.

[Side note: I didn't take my camera, and we made everything then sat down to eat it. After digging in I thought-"This tastes so good I need to take a picture of what we made!" So I pulled out my phone and snapped a few shots-which Do Not do the food justice. At least now I can look at the pictures and remember the goodness...]

I love love loved the Bruschetta. it was so easy and so fresh-I couldn't stop eating it and can't wait to make it at home...for like a party or something...if I ever host a party...but that's another story.
The chicken was so flavorful--I was down right surprised by how good it tasted [I'm not a huge fan of chicken and I'm even less of a fan of chicken "on the bone" but this was delicious!] I had two pieces and Shawn had three and that doesn't even take into account the pasta served with it.
Shawn eating. Yum Yum Yum :)

Oh...and I didn't get a picture of the dessert, which is a shame because I did most of the work on it. I helped mix the ingredients, spread the cream on the pastry, decorated the top with oranges and pistachios...and even had the guts to transport it to the fridge so it could chill. It was a beautiful work of art if you ask me. Shawn loved it. Devoured it I might even say. It was such an interesting idea for a dessert. The mix of flavors is really difficult to describe. Rich. Fruity. Fresh. Light. Sweet. Nutty. Zesty. Creamy. Crunchy. yet it balanced beautifully...it was still a dessert...just unlike the desserts we're used to eating.

It was a really fun night and...encouraging for me. The dishes were not that hard to make-and we basically just followed a recipe. Chef Kyle was there to help us, and did a few things for us and had the kitchen expertise to say things like "This needs more salt" and could eye ball how much more needed to go in. But in all reality we made these dishes, and they were delicious and flavorful and unlike anything I've ever created in my own kitchen. In some way this gives me hope that I can create wonderful tasting things at home...even if I am just following a recipe.

So, Thanks Mom and Dad and Shawn for sending me to cooking class, even if it was just for one night. :)

Oh-and now I want a really nice knife...

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

HOW FUN!! Getting a private cooking class with out expecting one? That is awesome!! My favorite knives that I used when I was staying at Dezie's cousins' house are the Miracle Blade III. They fall in thee "won't break my budget" category but still cut well. It's about 50ish bucks from Amazon I think.... http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Blade-Piece-Knife-Miracleblade/dp/B000VDFHI6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1263100895&sr=8-2