Sunday, May 5, 2013

Blog Lovin'

My blog shout out goes to Carla over at flight of the thorups. I love Carla. I don't think she really knows...maybe she'll read this and get a glimpse. It's about to get real.

I met Carla in the fall of 2007, when we started working together. We were both newly married. Getting married is a huge life adjustment. It just is. Shawn and I moved to Salt Lake, I had just graduated from college, working at my first full time job. Shawn was working full time and going to school. I didn't know anyone. I am not great at making friends, but once I make them. I love them. I am so loyal. It's kinda funny to me. I'm horrible at maintaining friendships, but if you're my friend, I'd do anything for you. Even if I haven't talked to you in years. I think I have this awkward one sided attachment with most of my friends. Anyway, back to Carla and how awesome she is. I was in desperate need of a friend. Carla was that friend. She was a ray of sunshine in my life. She was (and is) so real. We would talk about anything. Some of those hard to talk about subjects when you're first married. It was so nice to have a friend who was going through the same things and we could openly talk about it. It grew from a work friendship, to a lets hang out--we became couple friends. Matt and Shawn get along. (hallelujah!) It was so nice. Man. Then Carla and Matt decided to go to Ecuador. That's when I really became a member of the blogging world. I started reading Carla's blog about her adventures. She is the reason I started blogging. It was her sweet insight that pushed me to do it. I was so excited when Carla came back from Ecuador, and she came back to the law office! We became better friends, and I truly think of her as one of my better friends. Unfortunately I haven't kept it up as well as I should.  You see, she bought a house. And then we bought a house...in Davis County. I kept working at the law office, so I'd see and talk to her everyday, but we didn't hang out as couples anymore. Then I had Carter and I quit working there. I can't even believe it's almost been 3 years. And we rarely see each other. Now I read her blog, and follow her on instagram. Occasionally, we hang out. I miss her.

Carla is so...Oh Carla how do I describe you? A go getter? When she wants something. She does it. And she rocks it. She is out there creating her life the way she wants it to be. I love her for that. I feel like she's outgrown me, (insert frowny face). I've been pretty stagnant lately. I stay home a lot, and I'm not pushing myself. Some days I wish I could visit her and talk to her again. Then I feel like I don't have anything to say. Ugh. Unless its about diapers or breastfeeding or poop. There are only so many times you can talk about these things and then people don't want to be your friends anymore. Some days I don't want to be my friend anymore. But Carla, I will always want to be Carla's friend. She is the person who makes you feel better and more confident about yourself without even trying. She exudes energy and love. She is my original blogger friend. So go check out her blog, because then you'll love her too. (and then I'll probably get jealous, cuz I'm like that)

Hanging out last spring






Day 5, Sunday: Publicly profess your love and devotion for one of your blogger friends. What makes them great? Why do you love them? If you don't have blogger friends, talk about a real-life friend or even a family member

2 comments:

carla thorup said...

Oh hells bells Melissa. This was terribly kind and also makes me want to punch you? Ha... I'm used to tooting my own horn not hearing it! Lets hang out soon and I like this blogging everyday. Way to be gurl

Gretchen Alice said...

I love this and I adore both of you.