Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Broken Leg

I tried to write this post last week and it got deleted somehow (argh @ technology sometimes!) So here we go again...


Last Wednesday Carter ended up with no pants and just a diaper (this is not uncommon-I change him and then he takes off running-Carter loves to be chased). He decided he wanted his shorts back on so I sent him to his room to go get them. He came back running and laughing with both legs in one hole. Then he tripped. And started crying. He seemed pretty upset, but I just assumed it was more dramatic because nap time was fast approaching. I calmed him down and put him down for his nap...and didn't think anything of it. Until he woke up.


I found him standing in his crib like a flamingo. He wouldn't put any weight on his left leg. So Shawn and I did the awesome parent to try an figure out what was wrong. We moved his foot around and tried to get him to point and flex and press his foot. He could do it all but move it side to side...so we assumed he probably rolled his ankle. He's a resilient little kid we figured he'd be walking and forget all about it in no time. The top of his foot was a little swollen so we gave him so ibuprofen and called it good. He limped around walking only on his heel and keeping his leg totally straight.


The next morning he was still limping and when he would stand he wouldn't put his foot down. So I called the doctor and made an appointment for later that day. You know...just to make sure it wasn't broken (because I was sure it wasn't). I let him play and run around like normal all day. We went to the dr and she checked out his foot. And then they sent him to get X-rays because he reacted when she pressed on a certain spot. Thank goodness Shawn was working from home and came with us because I couldn't go into the X-ray room with Carter cuz of my prego belly.




The dr came back in and said they thought he had a small fracture. I couldn't see anything and honestly thought his bone looked normal! She wanted us to see an orthopedic dr in a few days to see if it needed to be casted. They formed Carter a splint and off we went.


Enter today. We saw the orthopedic dr and got more X-rays. He has a buckle fracture and gets to wear a black boot. We go back in a week, when they will take more X-rays and decide how much longer he needs to wear the boot. Luckily the dr said little kids bounce back from these things really quick. Carter doesn't even act like it hurts. I have to keep him from jumping on it! It's so sad to see his little leg all wrapped up, but he is still so happy, and I'd rather be safe then sorry. I'm so glad it's only a boot and he doesn't have to have a cast!



No comments: