Saturday, May 25, 2013

Something someone told you about yourself that you'll never forget.

It was my freshman year of college. I was sitting on the floor of my apartment. My good friend Travis was over. I was in sweat pants, and I was pretty sure I looked awful. Then out of the blue Travis said that I looked cute and I'm sure I argued that I didn't. And then he said what I'll never forget...

"When you think you look cute, you don't."   

(He continued something like this...) When you don't think you look cute that's when you are the cutest. 

It made absolutely no sense to me. How was I supposed to know when I was actually looking cute? If I thought I looked ugly I was actually cute-- or if I thought I looked cute I didn't look it to others?

I think that's when I stopped caring. I didn't care a whole lot before, but after that comment...I just was who I was. 



Years later I still find this to be true (even if it still doesn't make sense to me)...when I'm not trying, that's when I look the best.

2 comments:

Shane and Kenzie said...

Funny you wrote about this because my mom and I were discussing something very similar to this the other day. We were recalling my high school years, and how sometimes I would wear my hair in styles that really didn't make me look my best. When mom would politely tell me that my hair looked better in different styles, I didn't believe her, because all the girls in school told me that I looked CUTE with the way I was already doing my hair! She would say, "That's because they don't WANT you to look cute..."
Took me many years to understand what she was saying, but now I totally get it!

Shaylynn... a girl, a story, a blog said...

now.. now.. now.. this is something I need to work on. every day work on.